How it's Going.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

I Wave my Geek Flag

This post will contain very little about my weight loss progress because I am (still) sick and haven't been able to work out for the past week. As far as my diet, well I'm sick and I am terrible about eating healthy when I feel like crap. I just don't. I haven't gone off the deep end or anything. I didn't binge. I did, however, indulge in the home made bread and chili that my chef husband made me yesterday. (Yes he really is a chef and yes it is extremely difficult to lose weight with a chef for a husband. But he really tries to help.) For right now I am focused on resting and getting better because I have a Crew game tomorrow and I don't want to feel like crap for it. The Columbus Crew is our very own major league soccer (football) team here in Ohio. They are a decent team and I'm taking the boys to see them play D.C. United tomorrow. I'm expecting a win since D.C. has been not having a good season. Anyhoo, I expect I'll feel decent tomorrow because I basically slept today and took Dayquil. The one thing I am doing is dyeing my hair back to my natural color. Turns out my husband isn't fond of the chestnut color even though I used to dye my hair that color back in school. I quote, "I used to like it but I think blonde is more sophisticated and you are nothing if not sophisticated." *blink, blink* When the hell did I become sophisticated? Perhaps I am sophisticated in certain situations but on the whole, not so much. So I think I will share just a bit about myself to make up for having nothing exciting weight-loss wise to report.

  • I have mentioned I am a nurse, and I am. I have my bachelors in nursing which I actually just got in December of 2010. Before becoming a nurse I was (in order) an EMT/Firefighter, a Medical Assistant, and an Allergy/ENT nurse. Then I worked as a phlebotomist in a very busy ER for almost three years. I hated my job as a phlebotomist but I enjoyed being back in the emergency setting. I work as an Orthopedic/Trauma nurse now but my goal is to eventually get back to the ER. It's my passion. In about five years I will be going to medical school and I would like to be an Orthopedic/Trauma surgeon who works mainly in the ER. Yes, you may ask me medical questions and I will try my best to answer them however, I am not a doctor so my answers are based on my experience and the extent of my training. 
  • I am a knitter, a hand-spinner (with two spinning wheels), and I dye my own yarn/fiber. It is very relaxing. I think it is nothing like yoga and I hate it when people call it the "new yoga." 
  • I make my own soap. I enjoy the technical aspect of soap making but moreover I LOVE stuff that smells good and isn't full of preservatives and chemicals. I do not sell my soap but I do give it away all the time. (I will never be able to use it all. Ever.)
  • I play the flute. Really well. I played all through school and I absolutely love the damn thing. 
  • I am a music whore. I listen to (almost) everything. I don't have a favorite band but among my top are: Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Skillet, Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Creed, Lady Antebellum, Daughtry, and The Band Perry. I love classical and rock the most. I do listen to rap but only Eminem and what I like to call rock/rap (like Hollywood Undead).
  • I minored in photography in college. No I am not a professional photographer, but I'm not far off. I also prefer 35mm film to digital. I love working in the darkroom and the creative process that takes place there. 
  • I love pit bulls. I have one named Shylo and she is the Best Dog EVER. Pit bulls have a very bad rap and I am all about educating the public on these awesome dogs. 
  • I love tattoos. LOVE. THEM. I have to put mine in easily covered places because of my profession but I do have a small rose on my thumb that I love. I am a firm believer that tattoos should be art and not graffiti. Think before you ink is my motto. And go to a reputable artist dammit, it's f--king permanent. 
  • I am a very compassionate person but I have ZERO bullshit tolerance. I do not accept flimsy excuses. For anything. The truth may hurt but I think if more people heard it more often, we'd get things straightened out faster. 
  • I am not a big tv watcher but I love movies. I have never watched Survivor, Big Brother or any other ridiculous reality tv show. I have watched the Biggest Loser and I liked it but I don't mind if I miss it. I do watch Chopped, and Hell's Kitchen with my husband on the nights I'm off if it's on. I really enjoyed the first three seasons of Sons of Anarchy but I usually work Tuesdays nights so I tend to watch the whole season on dvd after it's over.
So that's a bit about me. Not too bad I hope. At least you know a bit about who I am instead of just another fat chick losing weight.
My thumb tattoo. Yes, those are my real nails. I'm not allowed to have acrylics in the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. I also hate it when people just come out with bullshit. I'd rather people tell me that they couldnt be bothered to do something INSTEAD of trying to make up a ridiculous story. It happens too much!

    There's only one team I like in the MLS and that's the LA Galaxy, purely because of fellow Englishman, David Beckham!

    Enjoy the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like Beckham but I was disappointed that he didn't play last week when they played the Crew. What's your football team Tim? Manchester United? lol

    ReplyDelete