How it's Going.

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Voices Told Me To

I need a vacation. I'm not sure what the heck is going on but this last week has just sucked! My patients have all been (literally) crazy and there is a reason I am NOT a psych nurse. I. Don't. Do. Crazy. Well, let me amend that. I like the ones that are so crazy they wear tinfoil hats to protect their brains from alien mind control waves, or truly believe they are the Queen of Sheba, or they stay huddled in a corner because the voices tell them too. I like them because I know they REALLY need my help. The kind of crazy I can't handle is the drug-seeking, IV drug abusing, belligerent and verbally abusive to the staff kind of crazy. They usually have some real reason to be there, but they don't want to listen  to us or try to get better. They just want us to wait on them and give them drugs. I'm not stereotyping IV drug abusers either. I've had many patients who were former abusers and they were great patients. I didn't get in this buisness to push drugs. I'm a healer. It's who I was born to be. It's all I've ever wanted to be. I'm the shoulder to cry on and the one who gives hugs when there's nothing anyone can say to make it better. It's really rough when I try to help and it goes in one ear and out the other. HOWEVER, in spite of this lousy week I have been strong in the face of temptation (and not just my video), and I even got a work out or two in. Hallelujah!

I will be taking a mini-vacation this weekend. It's my anniversary on Sunday so my husband booked a romance package at the Ashley Quarters Hotel in Florence, KY and we will be sans ninos for two days and one night. We will also be visiting the Creation Museum, which we've wanted to do for SO long now. I am super excited. Not to worry, I will not be going crazy with the food stuffs. I will have a little bit of a treat on our actual anniversary, but since we will have spent the day walking for miles around the museum (literally, it's HUGE and there are botanical gardens with mile long paths) it won't be too terrible. Also, the hotel has a fitness center and I've packed workout gear.

1 comment:

  1. Have a fantastic anniversary! It sounds like you need a break away after the week you've had at work! lol

    ReplyDelete