How it's Going.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sometimes Impalement Really Is the Answer

So I've mentioned in a previous post that my husband is a chef. This is good and bad. The good thing is that when I print off a fabulous new recipe to try, he whips it up without batting an eye and it turns out perfectly. He's also quick to whip me up an omelet or other healthy low-carb something or other if he hears the I'm-about-to-cheat phrase of, "I'm starving." He also watches me like a hawk when it comes to eating regularly. One of the benefits of doing a healthy low-carb diet is that I'm not hungry very often and when I'm hungry enough to say, "I'm starving" it's usually been several hours since my last meal (this happens most often after a long night of work). It's not unusual for him to ask me when I ate last, several times a day. This is all wonderful, but marriage to a chef has some serious drawbacks. The obvious is that he's a chef and has only made one dish, in thirteen years, that I didn't like. He's very creative too and often will come home with a take out box of one of his "inventions" and say, "You've got to taste this!" I hate to hurt his feelings but lately I've been having to say, "No honey. Not even one bite." We've talked about it a bit and I pretty much told him that while I adore his cooking, it's not healthy for me. At least not his usual cooking. So he's promised not to bring anything too tempting home. Which brings me to a really important point. When you're in a relationship and trying to lose weight and get healthy, it is IMPERATIVE that your partner be supportive. Without that support you will most certainly feel like your journey is that much longer, lonelier, and more difficult. I feel very blessed that my husband was so open to helping me because I know others who have faced loads of resistance from their partners.  Usually this resistance is fear of change on the part of the partner, but in some cases it's just that the partner is an ass. I have, however, devised an almost foolproof was to tell the difference. If it's a case of fear of change, as you become more fabulous and healthy, the fear of change will usually become pride in your accomplishments. If it's a case of being an ass, as you become more fabulous and healthy, the desire to impale them on the nearest pointy object will increase proportionally.

1 comment:

  1. It's always difficult when somebody else is cooking food. I still live at home with my mum and although she's a great cook, she chucks anything and everything in, which might end up being more calories than I want. I guess it's important to let others know what you want from a meal and not be afraid to say no if it isnt what you want. Saying that, If I said no to my mum, she'd smack my behind! LOL

    ReplyDelete