How it's Going.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A No Good Very Bad Day

Really!?! That's what I've been wanting to scream at the top of my lungs ALL DAY. For starters I had to be up at the ball crack of dawn to take my dad to the airport so he could fly back to California (where I SHOULD live because that's where the rest of my family has migrated to), and because they had a two hour delay, I had to take both my boys with me (I had already dropped my husband off at work). The airport is a forty-five minute drive from my house and I was two thirds of the way home when I started hearing a loud grinding sound coming from my car. Not one to trifle with strange car sounds, I pulled over immediately and found that my tire was blown out. No, not just flat, there was a huge gaping hole the size of a half dollar in the OUTER layer of the tire. Fix-a-flat was SO NOT going to help this one. I called my husband and told him to which I get the response, "Well what are you going to do?" *blink, blink* "Uh...I just called you. THAT's what I'm going to do." Now I've never been the damsel in distress type. I was raised in a military household by a man who STILL can't talk about what he did while he was in the Army because those missions are still classified, and well, he didn't raise some cry-baby little pansy who can't figure out how to use a jack and a tire iron. I know how to change a tire and I've done it multiple times. The problem was that my husband had removed the jack and tire iron from the boot to make room for groceries and he'd forgotten to put them back. After reminding him of this fact (as sweetly as I was able to manage at that moment) he informed me that I'd have to "hang tight" because he wasn't able to get away from work for "a bit." Well alright then. I didn't really have much choice now did I? Had we been in California I could have just called my mom or my brother and one of them would have been able to come and help, but since I'm still stuck in Ohio I was screwed. All my former close friends disappeared during the time I was working two and sometimes three jobs while going to school full-time trying to get my degree. My husbands family? Busy. Although his youngest sister was willing to call around and see if she could borrow someones car to make the two hour (one way) trek up to help. He told her thanks, but we'd make do otherwise. So there I was, sitting on the side of a back country road, with a blown out tire, two very bored and fidgety boys, and now I had to pee. Since I knew it was going to be awhile I packed up the boys, locked up the car, and began to hoof it to the nearest place with a bathroom. We made it to a gas station with a minimum amount of complaining from the boys (really, I'm the overweight, out of shape one, and they play soccer and they're the ones complaining about a forty-five minute walk? unreal) and thank God, it had a public restroom. After that we walked a bit farther and found a Burger King. By this time I had heard from my husband that he wasn't even close to being able to leave so I bought the boys some lunch and myself a soda and we waited. And waited. And waited some more, until finally my darling arrived and we were rescued. At least, somewhat.  One hour and two hundred dollars (OMG! REALLY!?! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?) later we had a new tire mounted and we arrived safely back home. I was very strong through the whole thing and avoided the temptation to eat poorly but when we got home I did what any normal person would do...I locked myself in my room, screamed into my pillow for a bit, and then cried a little. Then I logged on to World of Warcraft and took out some frustration on the game. I would have gotten on the treadmill and walked, but my husband needs to tighten the belt because it was sticking a bit the last time I was on it. As a result of today, we have decided as a family that we will be pushing the move to California a little faster than originally planned because I have had ENOUGH of this shit. Thanks for letting me vent internet friends. I hope this hasn't turned you off from my blog. I promise I'm all better now.

2 comments:

  1. How frustrating!!!.....and $200?! Wow!! Crazy prices!

    I hope you made him put the jack back into the car! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh a fellow WoW player??? :) What a shitty day! Sorry that you had to suffer through all of that! I have two little ones too but thankfully all of hubby's family is local to us.

    ReplyDelete