How it's Going.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I'll Never Weigh 589lbs

I'll be honest...I've been in a slump lately. I get that way from time to time and when I do my general attitude is, "Screw it." Then Sunday night the slump went away and I was all set to set my mind back to working out and eating right. I packed my lunch, went to work, and three hours later I was ready to scream and head for the vending machine. Thankfully I got a call from the ER that I was getting an admission so the vending machine had to wait. When my patient got up to the floor I was glad I'd waited. My patient weighed 589lb (267kg) and had every complication that you can possibly have (almost) from obesity. It took six people, including me, to transfer the patient from the ER gurney to the bed and then it took me another hour to get the patient settled and medicated (including the anti-fungal powder I had to apply to each of the patient's skin folds because they were all red and irritated due to the yeast infections in each one). After all that I had to call a special company and order a different bed because the patient didn't fit into the largest bariatric bed that the hospital had. It was two hours before the bed was delivered and then another six person move. The whole time I was thinking, "Thank you God for showing me yet another reason I just HAVE to stay the course." I know it's a far stretch, and I would think I would never let it get that far, but that could be me if I don't take care of it now. So I stayed on track. Two hours later another severely obese patient stopped breathing and I was running around grabbing stuff, throwing stuff out of their room to allow for all the people and trying to get my compressions on their chest deep enough to actually pump their heart, which is really difficult on a five hundred pound person. They stopped breathing because they threw a clot that went to their lungs. They had clots because they were so big that they didn't move around enough. It was a giant flashing sign, "Hey! You need to make sure you think about THIS when you're tempted!"  I went home absolutely exhausted but with a renewed sense of determination and motivation. Last night was trick or treat in my town and my husband, dad, and I took the boys around for an hour and forty minutes. I didn't eat a single piece of candy. =)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's certainly a great reminder to keep you on track. I think we all would get a renewed sense of motivation seeing what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never nice to hear stories like this, of people who for whatever reason have been thrown off the way so much that they get to that stage...but thankyou nontheless for sharing this with us...I think a fair few readers will be touched by this experience into keeping up some motivation!

    ReplyDelete