How it's Going.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jello Legs

I had my first session with a personal trainer, EVER, today. I was so not looking forward to it because I've seen other fat people who sign up for sessions and get totally treated like garbage by the trainers. Unfortunately most trainers don't want to work with fat people (you know..the one's who REALLY need their help) and you can tell by their attitudes and expressions. Before I got to the gym I prayed that this trainer wouldn't be like that and (as usual) God delivered. Jeremiah LOOKED like your typical personal trainer. He was moderately good looking, very built, and full of energy. I thought, "Oh great, this is going to be the longest hour of my life." Then we started talking and he seemed very interested in my fitness background and very pleased that I was not only willing to work but that I was an Iron Sister (tm) as well. He even said, "It's so great that you aren't like the typical girls who come in here; who think the way to results are cardio, cardio, cardio, and  are resistant to hitting the weights." Uh, no. My parents were bodybuilders and long distance runners. I LOVE to pump me some iron. He then outlined a workout schedule and we talked about my goals. He took me through a leg and ab workout that I can do completely at home with the exception of one exercise and  it totally kicked my butt. I had forgotten how much I could sweat from resistance training. Throughout the session he was very encouraging and praised my effort and form. When I left the gym my legs felt like jello and I was on a post-workout endorphin high. I even discussed with him possible signing up for regular sessions. They're terribly expensive but the once a week plan seems do-able (after Christmas of course) and hopefully I can work it into the budget. Either way, I'm glad I met him because he proved to me that trainers who care about us fat chicks aren't just on television.

On another subject, I just couldn't handle the diet change my husband wanted. I had to go back to my low-carb eating. I gave it three days but I was miserable, bloated, and exhausted the entire time. I never felt like I was getting enough protein and the calorie restriction left me starving. The first day I went back to my "normal" eating was like heaven. I was so happy and even though I only ate about 300 more calories than with the "icky" eating, I never felt hungry or bloated or tired. It was awesome. It just goes to show, there isn't a one size fits all way of eating. For me and my body, the answer to health is carb control. For others it's calorie control. For others still it's fat control. For others it's points. Whatever works for YOU is what is the right way of eating for YOU. Don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about your choice. If God didn't make us different, it'd be a very boring world to live in.

1 comment:

  1. Great news about the personal training session! It helps so much when they genuinely care about your fitness background and what you want out of it. I think it helps form a better connection between both people that way which then makes working out a lot more enjoyable rather than being trained by someone who couldn't give a damn.

    ReplyDelete