How it's Going.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

This Has Nothing to do With Losing Weight but I Had to Write it Out

Somehow when I left work Wednesday morning I just KNEW there would be trouble coming from this certain patient's family member. I had had difficulty with them all night long and I could just feel that she was going to make trouble. She had that aura about her. She didn't listen to my recommendations, but she listened to me enough to twist my words around and then lie about me to Patient Relations which got me an angry phone call from my manager saying that according to this patient's family member, I never listened to the patient's lungs, I was trying to over medicate that patient, and that I was inattentive. She's even accusing me of falsifying documentation because I charted that I assessed the patient's lungs when, according to her, I did not. This is a bunch of bullshit of course. I listen to EVERY patient's heart and lung sounds AT THE VERY LEAST!!!! So my manager says this woman has seven pages of documentation of things I didn't do and on and on and I'm just flabbergasted that someone would go to that length to try to get me in trouble. All I did was try to do what was best for my patient and I was totally slammed with other patients at the same time. I did tell my manager that this particular family member wasn't in the room the whole time, having stepped out of the room to talk on the phone, and possibly just didn't see me doing the assessment (it doesn't take but a couple of minutes to do) and that the family member and I did have a personality conflict that was obvious from the get go, she being adamant that she was a nurse and knew what I was talking about, and also that the family member certainly wasn't writing this seven pages of documentation overnight because she was sleeping. She also accused me of trying to over medicate the patient because I was concerned that she didn't have adequate oral pain med coverage with what the doctor ordered and though the patient was allergic to one pain med I tried to ask if they had discussed alternative pain meds that could give good coverage and not the same response, each time the patient's family member shut me down, interrupting me and not letting me finish. I tried to stress to the patient and the family member that I was simply concerned for the patient's well being and wanted them to have adequate pain control. Now my job AND my license are in jeopardy because of this woman and her lies. I have NO idea what I did that would cause someone to try to go that far to get me in trouble. I am praying but I will be honest...managers and patient relations people are politicians and almost always side with the patient. Though they can't PROVE I didn't do an assessment, it's only my word that says I did. I just don't know what to do. I'm so stressed out. My stomach is in knots. My hands are all sweaty. I'm having a fight or flight response and I'm a fighter with nothing to fight except accusations from someone bearing false witness. It's an attack through and through and I can only pray that it will be resolved without any discipline on my license and without me losing my job.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so so sorry you are having to deal with this. Sounds like you're the target of this womans many many frustrations regarding her family members illness. I'll be hoping that everything works out, like you said, all you can be is honest. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a total nightmare. I'm sorry you're going through this. Keep being you, you're the one in the right. Whatever happens, you know you can hold your head up high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think that your past performance would have to count for a lot. This being an isolated incident, where personalities clash, your co-workers and managers have to take everything into consideration, not just this woman's drivel. It's so maddening that someone not liking you (that hurts, in and of itself!) can cause you to lose your job. I pray that doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete